In January 1950, the first Community Kindergarten in the Wynnum area was formed. Called the Wynnum District Kindergarten, its first classes were held in the Lodge room of the Municipal Library Hall. Over the next six years the kindergarten occupied three different premises.
In July 1958 the Kindergarten satisfied the high standards set by the Creche and Kindergarten Association of Queensland and was accepted as an Affiliate. It continued to be affiliated until late 2013.
In 1962, the essentially defunct Wynnum Gordon Club, a youth club promoting the mental and physical development of its (male) members, donated its property in Florence Street and its residue of funds to the Wynnum District Kindergarten with the condition that the name be changed to The General Gordon Memorial Kindergarten.
On May 23, 1964, after years of hard work by the Mothers Auxiliary, the new permanent home for the Kindergarten was officially opened by Lady May Abel Smith, wife of the then Governor of Queensland. The name was further changed in 1974 to the Wynnum General Gordon Community Pre-school and Kindergarten Association Incorporated.
In 2014, the centre changed our affiliation to The Gowrie (QLD) Inc www.gowrieqld.com.au. The education of the children remains unchanged and the staff and committee remain committed to the highest standard of education and care.